Saturday, November 01, 2014

Red Wine Rice Noodles Soup at Hock Lok Hong, Lanang Road, Sibu

I have not been to Hock Lok Hong for a long time.

It is just a pain to look for a parking there; unless you park all the way around Kingwood Hotel and walk to the coffee shop instead, of which I did, but knowing the typical traits of the people in my beloved hometown, you will get: "too far!!!"

But I assure you, this is very delicious. 

It is called Zao Chai Hoongan plastered at the front of this stall; this stall is located behind the kampua stall; like, not exactly behind as there is a beef noodles stall in between these two stalls.

Newbie.

He opens for breakfast till 12.30 p.m.; and starts again at 4.30 p.m. daily.

You Kingwood-ers really envy you.

Zhao Chai Hoongan at Hock Lok Hong, Lanang Road, Sibu

That sourish taste from the preserved vegetable and that funky note from the red wine somehow is a marriage made in heaven.

The chicken was a bit tough, but nevertheless tasty, with no ugly yellow jelly fat oozing out of ever corner of the meat and made you agitated.

I finished the very last drop of the soup, that explains a lot on how much I like it.

And best part of all, if you are not from Sibu, he speaks Hokkien and English.

Language barrier solved! :)

On the other note, I have already parted ways with the pien nik (wantan) from the kampua stall at the very front of this coffeeshop.

I truly understand that you can only get pork on certain days of the week in Sibu, hence most eateries they are using pork straight off the freezer.

And exactly this pien nik had this freezer-y taste; super funky and I find it unpleasant for me.

But then again, that is just me and my opinion.

I love the kampua very much still.

2 comments:

The Yum List said...

Isn't it funny how food overcomes all language barriers.

suituapui said...

Looks good. The pian sip is the best in town and some people would swear by their kampua noodles - not my favourite though, the latter.