Monday, June 09, 2008

Compaction Test




My final year students taking up Geotechnical Engineering were trying their hands on compacting soil sample. The value obtained from this compaction test serves as a guideline to determine the compactive effort on-site. I instructed my students to perform 5 sets of this test. The mould was filled with three layers of soil, and 27 blows for each layer.














Can't blame them for looking so gloomy in these pics. :P It was quite tiring, I must say..kekeke..the rammer is 2.5 kg.

3 comments:

clement said...

i remember this test.... when the water reaches optimum level... sibeh hard to remove the soil.... knock few times and... the mould broke into 2!!!

sibu food diva said...

wah! so shock u got read my blog oso! next time u need to consult me first before removing the thing..hahaha..

Anonymous said...

you are microbiologist. then what to do with compaction and microbiology?