Saturday, January 10, 2015

Daun Semagit

A very happy new year to you, and lots of love from me.

I wish you a very nice year, this year and may this year brings you abundant joy and blessing.

Nah.

I treat you to visual feasting of Tang Yuen. A year older and a year wiser! Says the Chinese.

Tang Yuen 
 In the process of making Tang Yuen, I absent-mindedly went to my grocery store to get some pandan /screw pine leaves.

I grabbed two packets.

And then.

Daun pandan imposter
 At the counter, I while watching intently as the cashier beeped my stuffs, there was this foreign thing in my basket that said Daun Semagit.

Oh man.

Daun semagit
Smells like pandan, looks like pandan, but is not pandan!

What a way to end 2014 and looking forward to 2015.

Thanks Village Grocer in Mont Kiara, you had me a good laugh. :)

After that isolated incident, I checked the pandan section regularly and to my surprise there was no daun semagit! 

To this very day, the daun semagit stays in my Museum of Innocence. 

Happy new year once again. :)

3 comments:

The Yum List said...

I wonder if it looks and smells the same, could it be used as a substitute?

suituapui said...

Didn't have any 'em balls. Hard to swallow, would feel like choking. Belated greeting for a great 2015! Cheers!

sibu food diva said...

the yum list: i don't know…i do have some hallucinations. it could be citronella leaves as well. :P

suituapui: lol! it's an acquired taste. my "Ang moh" husband liked them very much!